Friday, January 14, 2011

The Queensland Floods


Queensland....what to say. 
My heart goes out to all of you, not just in Queensland, but all around Australia.  Half of me calls Australia home after spending such a long time there, (and with Shannon being an Aussie), so we find ourselves glued to the news, and reading every web page we can.  Reading the stories of rescues, well, it just makes you cry.

It is just astounding to see the photos.  How can a country suffering from such great drought receive so much rain?

Devastating.

It is going to take a long long time for Australia to recover from this (but recover they will, the aussie spirit is strong!).  Donations can be made to the Queensland Government (for those not in Australia details on how to donate internationally are halfway down the page) , and for those in NZ, donations can be made via Red Cross NZ.

All procceds from my Etsy and Felt shops this weekend will be donated to the Queensland Government flood appeal.

This article did make me smile, and feel proud - for all the trans tasman rivalry between Australia and NZ, when it comes down to it, we are neighbours with a strong bond. 

For all of you affected - there are many of us out there thinking of you, and trying to help in whatever way we can.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same, my heart is broken every time I see the distruction on the news. I live and work in New Zealand now, but I grew up in Brisbane. All the places that I loved is now under water :( Thankfully my family and friends are safe, but still there are others who are suffering.

    Why did it have to rain so much in such a short time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad Tiffany. Pleased to hear your family and friends are safe, but yes, so many people have lost too much.
    x

    ReplyDelete